Sunday, April 28, 2013

Memorial Park Pool

Specs
Type: Swimming
Distance: Local
Area: Grass Valley
Ages: All Ages
Cost: $
Information: www.cityofgrassvalley.com
My kids love to swim, and besides a 10x10 foot inflatable pool we got on sale at Rite-Aide one year, we have nowhere to do it. That's why we love Memorial Park Pool--it's inexpensive, it's local, there's a snack bar and there's lifeguards. Did I mention the lifeguards?

Three of my four kids are old enough to go to the pool, and although all of them are good swimmers I wouldn't feel comfortable taking them if there weren't lifeguards. As active and enthusiastic as they are, it just isn't possible to keep all three of them in sight at the same time. Memorial Park Pool has at least three lifeguards poolside at all times. There's a diving board, but swimmers have to pass a swimming test before they're allowed to use it. They are very serious about safety there, which means that I don't have to be terrified to take my kids swimming.

The pool is open all summer and costs just a couple of bucks a person. Flotation devices are not allowed, though, which means if you have a weak swimmer or a little one you can't put him/her in a life vest. One of the lifeguards told me that particular rule is to discourage parents from just putting a vest on their kid and leaving them in the pool for the afternoon. Which, really? I can't believe anyone would do that. But, if you say so.

0 comments:

Post a Comment