Friday, July 12, 2013

Cameron Park Lake Swimming Lagoon

I was really excited when I first heard about this place: a lifeguarded lake in our area! Sort of. Cameron Park is actually a bit of a hike--figure on about 1 hour 15 minutes up to 1 hour 30 depending on where you live and which way you go.

Now the reason I like lifeguarded swimming areas is because I have four small children, and though I am very diligent about watching them in the water I also know that human error is something that can't always be avoided. I don't like to take even small risks with my kids' lives, so I like to have those lifeguards as backups just in case human error happens to me.

Specs
Type: Swimming,
Distance: Short Drive
Area: Cameron Park
Ages: All Ages
Cost: $
Address: 2989 Cambridge Road, Cameron Park
Information: www.cameronpark.org

As far as I know we don't have any lifeguarded beaches up here in our area (but someone please tell me if I'm wrong!) So I thought it would be worth the drive to let the kids swim in a lake with those extra safety measures in place.

Unfortunately I wasn't impressed enough with the Cameron Park Lake Swimming Lagoon that I feel like I can recommend it to Grass Valley residents. It's a long drive, and the shortest route is on that windy part of Highway 49 (the one that goes through Cool and towards Placerville). And the lagoon was disappointingly small, murky and had some litter floating in it--not a lot, but enough to be gross. Also there were some aggressive geese stalking the picnic area, which kind of freaked my kids out.

The lifeguards were nice to have, though, and the lagoon itself is very shallow up to and a little beyond the buoy line. Past the buoy line, though, the lagoon is about 9 1/2 feet deep and you can't see the bottom--even with the lifeguards there that's a little scary, especially when you've got kids who aren't great swimmers but are lured by the temptation to cross that forbidden buoy line (which the lifeguards do allow, though I wasn't much in favor of the idea).

You'd have to be in the Cameron Park area for some other reason before I'd recommend you going here, though it was nice, pretty quiet and had lots of shade. It's mainly the distance that put me off, and just a few of the details. But personally, I think I'd rather go to Long Ravine and just keep the kids in their life jackets.

0 comments:

Post a Comment